The Cold Approaches - Margôt Tesch, Writer
May 2, 2008

The Cold Approaches

Week 12 – Injury slows us up

We were slowed up this week while Chris’s injury to his foot healed. He was unable to put any weight on it. A neighbour conveniently lent him a pair of crutches. Even with my gallant effort to take over “boy” jobs … we were unable to maintain our usual pace: fencing; stock management and general repairs. Instead we spent time at the kitchen table planning activities (between the odd game of cards).

Did you hear me complaining? Actually I did find the slowed pace a little boring. Not my style.

In spite of the use of only one foot, Chris did manage to complete the new feeding troughs, (designed by himself). They are now waiting patiently to be used when we wean the calves.

Week 13 – Fence & windmill fixing

Back from a weekend in Sydney and wild partying with my girl friend that just turned 50. Great weekend.

The foot continues to heal. I suspect there are broken bones but we will never know for sure. (Chris chose not to have it x-rayed.) The bruising is still working its way out and there is a disconcerting lump evident on one side of the ankle.

Tuesday was the first day Chris was able to pull a boot on and undertake a full days work. He managed quite well but I think the wine continues to work as pain relief in the evenings.

We spent a day fixing a fence at CAMBREN. Some nuisances have been shooting (uninvited) on our property and when they were unable to negotiate the track due to a fallen tree, instead of reversing out, pushed over and drove over the fence! Most annoying! Any further damage and we will have to consider informing the police.

We also worked to repair a windmill that had been blown over in a storm. This was more challenging, as the well is very deep and required much caution working around it to ensure we didn’t fall in! Also had to be wary of any snakes living under the sheets of corrugated iron forming a crude security barrier. We did loose a number of nuts and bolts during the process. The “plop” sound as they reached the bottom reinforced the need for caution – it was a long way down.

Using the tractor bucket and chain, we managed to pull the windmill out (the base was attached to logs in the well) and lay it down carefully nearby for consideration as to how it might be repaired. It is important to get it working again as there is currently no water supply to the yards which is unacceptable in case we need to keep stock yarded over night.

I’m not looking forward to propping it back up. But as usual…we will find a way!

Click Here to Leave a Comment Below

Leave a Reply: